Meftal Spas tablet combines a pain killer and muscle relaxants such as Dicyclomine and mefenamic acid. It is a prescription only brand that can help relieve menstrual (period related) pain and cramps, abdominal spasms of the stomach and intestines.
It should be taken with food for best results; this will also prevent stomach problems in most people. Use regularly and avoid discontinuing before talking with your doctor about whether you still need treatment or not.
Dicycloverine, also known as Dicyclomine, is a muscarinic antagonist and is a prescription medication that relieves muscle cramps in gastrointestinal and urinary incontinence. It works by an obvious mechanism of non-selective smooth muscle relaxation (It decreases GI motility by blocking smooth muscle contractility .
Mefenamic acid belongs to the class of anthranilic acid derivatives of NSAIDs and is used to treat mild to moderate pain, including menstrual pain, and is sometimes used to prevent migraines.
Meftal Spas tablet is used to prevent and treat menstrual pain and cramps. It is also used in abdominal and stomach pain.
To avoid stomach upset, you will need to take it with food. The dose depends on the severity of your illness. Please discuss with a healthcare provider before taking it or any other medicine.
Also, don’t crush and chew the tablet before administration. Instead, the tablet should be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water.
Meftal Spas tablet Uses
It is used to treat mild to moderate pain and menstrual cramps. It is approved for treating pain in persons at least 14 years old and no more than seven days old. It is permissible to treat menstrual cramps for no more than 2-3 days. Meftal Spas is used to treat the following symptoms and conditions:
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Pain during periods
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Pain in stomach
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Migraine headache
- Pain after surgery
- Tooth pain
This drug may also be used for the purpose not listed above.
Mechanism of action
Meftal spas Tablet works by blocking the action of natural substances called cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. These enzymes help in the production of other chemicals in the body called prostaglandins. In addition, it blocks the release of certain chemical messengers that cause fever, pain, and inflammation.
Meftal Spas Side Effects
Meftal spas can cause a range of side effects. some of the ordinary and less serious side effects include
- Dry eyes,
- Blurred vision,
- Dry mouth and
- Abdominal bloating
While severe effects for high doses include
- Slurred speech,
- Decreased sweating,
- Flushed skin,
- Irregular heartbeat,
- Loss of coordination,
- Mood changes,
- Decreased sexual ability and
- Difficulty urinating.
Meftal Spas in Pregnancy
Tablet Meftal Spas is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless necessary, and the potential benefit outweighs the risks. Studies in animals have shown adverse effects on the fetus, but there are few studies in humans. Please consult your doctor.
Meftal-Spas Tablet is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggest that the medication could pose a significant risk to the baby. Consult your doctor.
Meftal spas tablet is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity reactions and allergies.
- Hepatic or renal disease/impairment
- Urinary retention,
- Paralytic ileus
- Hypertension (Blood Pressure)
- Cardiac arrhythmias,
- Coronary bypass graft surgery.
- Congestive heart failure.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Avoid the use of Neonates and children due to risks of respiratory depression and failure.
- Avoid use in the Elderly.
- Congenital heart defects.
Certain drugs cause side effects when used with another drug. Always ask your doctor when you use other medications with Meftal spas tablets. The following are some drugs that should be avoided with this medicine.
- Mefenamic acid increases levels of lithium in the blood and increases the toxicity of methotrexate.
- Aspirin has synergistic effects when used together with Meftal spas and may worsen the adverse event profile of any of the medications.
- It may antagonize the effects of gut motility agents such as metoclopramide and anti-glaucoma drugs.
- Mefenamic acid reduces the hypotensive effect of ACE inhibitors.
- Dicyclomine absorption in the presence of antacids is reduced. At the same time, I dissolve with the absorption of drug forms, which can slowly disturb how digoxin dissolve, in which abnormally high concentrations of the drug occur.
- The risk of intestinal bleeding is greater when mefenamic acid is combined with warfarin than when used alone or separately.
- Meftal Spas Tablet can interact with other drugs like amantadine, antidiabetics, antihistamines, benzodiazepines, corticosteroids.
Meftal Spas Dosage
The dose is based on your state of health and the response to the therapy. To reduce the risk of stomach bleeding and other side effects, take this medicine at the lowest effective dose as soon as possible.
Take only 3 Meftal Spa Tablets in a day. These are relatively safe for 1-3 days in a cycle. If you have regular periods, take the first dose before the period/pain starts. It may only require 3-4 doses. The shaking up of ice also helps.
Do not increase your dose; take it more often, or take it longer than prescribed. In general, this medicine should not be taken for more than seven days at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can I do if Meftal Spas overdose?
Overdose can lead to diseases such as respiratory diseases and dysfunction of several organs. In case of overdose, go to the nearest hospital.
2. How to store Meftal Spas Tablet?
Meftal spas should be kept at room temperature. Please do not put it in the fridge. Keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
3. Can I drive after taking Meftal Spas?
It is best to avoid driving immediately after taking Meftal spas, as this can cause drowsiness and head rotation and, in some cases, have a transient effect on the eyes.
4. How do Meftal spas work?
Meftal Spas blocks the release of various chemicals that cause fever, inflammation, and pain. It is also used as an analgesic to relieve muscle pain and cramps in all body parts, such as headaches, toothaches, myalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis.
5. What is the maximum safe dose of Meftal spas per day?
A maximum of three tablets per day is considered safe for consumption.
6. Is it safe to use Meftal Spas in Pregnancy?
It is not advisable to take it during pregnancy as this will damage the fetus. It is best to avoid it and consider home remedies replaced. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages with your doctor/gynecologist.
7. Is the Meftal Spas tablet safe while breastfeeding?
It should not be taken while breastfeeding because the mother’s milk transfers Meftal’s ingredients to the baby.
8. Does Meftal Spas affect liver function?
The use of this drug should be avoided in patients with underlying liver disease.
9. Is it dangerous to have Meftal spas with alcohol?
Drinking alcohol may increase the risk of side effects and cause drowsiness and excessive rest.
10. Are Meftal spas used to relieve pain during the heaviest periods and menstrual bleeding?
Yes, It can be used to relieve pain and bleeding during the heaviest periods and menstrual cramps. It works effectively to reduce pain and control blood flow. However, consult your doctor/gynecologist about this problem first.
11. How do I take the Meftal Spas tablet?
Meftal Spas can be consumed once or twice a day, depending on the patient’s condition. However, this does not mean how you should take this medicine. Please consult your doctor for the correct dosage and duration and follow the doctor/gynecologist’s instructions.
12. Should I take Meftal Spas Tablet on an empty stomach before or after meals?
it should be consumed after meals to get the best results. However, this does not reflect on how you should take the medication. Ask your doctor for advice and follow his recommendations.
13. Is it safe to handle or operate heavy machinery when using this Meftal spa??
If you experience drowsiness, dizziness, and headache after consuming this medicine, do not use any machine. If the drug lowers blood pressure, the use of devices is not recommended. It is also advised not to drink alcohol with this medicine as it may cause hypotension. Always ask your doctor about your condition.
14. Is the Meftal Spas tablet Cause Addiction?
Medicines usually have no potential for Addiction. Each drug in the controlled category is labeled as H or X. Check the drug package to make sure the drug does not fall into this category.
15. Can Meftal Spas be used to treat a headache?
Yes, it can be used to treat a headache. It is used to treat severe pain, such as menstrual cramps, periods of pain, toothache, muscle aches.
16. What Meftal spas are used for?
Meftal Tablet is used to treat and prevent different conditions like pain, especially for Menstrual Pain and cramps; it is also used for Irritable bowel syndrome, fever, etc. Check above for more.
17. can I take Meftal spas in periods?
Yes, This medicine is best for relieving menstrual pain.
18. What to do if I forgot to take the dose of Meftal Spas?
If you think you have forgotten the dose. Take it as soon as possible, but keep in mind that if the next dose is close, then continue the regular dose except for the missed dose. And yes, do not take extra doses.