Meftal Spas is the combination of two active ingredients such as dicyclomine and mefenamic acid.
Meftal Spas Tablet is manufactured by Blue Cross Labs.
Dicycloverin, also known as Dicyclomin, is a muscarinic antagonist and is a prescription medication that relieves muscle cramps in gastrointestinal and urinary incontinence by an obvious mechanism of non-selective smooth muscle relaxation.
Mefenamic acid belongs to the class of anthranilic acid derivatives of NSAIDs and is used to treat mild to moderate pain, including menstrual pain, and is sometimes used to prevent migraine.
- Dicycloverin or dicyclomine 10 mg
- Mefenamic acid 250 mg.
Mechanism of action
Meftal spas works by blocking the action of natural substances called cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. These enzymes help in the production of other chemicals in the body called prostaglandins. It blocks the release of certain chemical messengers that cause fever, pain and inflammation.
Meftal Spas tablet Uses
It is used to treat mild to moderate pain and menstrual cramps. It is approved for the treatment of pain in persons who are at least 14 years old and no more than 7 days old. It is permissible to treat menstrual cramps for no more than 2-3 days. Meftal Spas is used to treat the following symptoms and conditions:
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Pain during periods
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Pain in stomach
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Migraine headache
- Pain after surgery
- Tooth pain
This drug may also be used for the purpose not listed above.
Meftal Spas Side Effects
Meftal spas can cause a range of side effects. some of the common and less serious side effects include
- Dry eyes,
- Blurred vision,
- Dry mouth and
- Abdominal bloating
While serious effects on high doses include
- Slurred speech,
- Decreased sweating,
- Flushed skin,
- Irregular heartbeat,
- Loss of coordination,
- Mood changes,
- Decreased sexual ability and
- Difficulty urinating.
Meftal Spas in Pregnancy
Meftal-Spas Tablet is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggest that the medication could pose a significant risk to the baby. Consult your doctor.
Meftal spas tablet is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity reactions and allergies.
- Hepatic or renal disease/impairment
- Urinary retention,
- Paralytic ileus
- Hypertension, (Blood Presuure)
- Cardiac arrhythmias,
- Coronary bypass graft surgery.
- Congestive heart failure.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Avoid use Neonates and children due to risks of respiratory depression and/or failure.
- Avoid use in Elderly
- Congenital heart defects.
Certain Drugs causing side effects when use with other drug. Always ask your doctor when you use other medications with meftal spas tablet. Following are some drugs which should be avoided with this medicine.
- Mefenamic acid increases levels of lithium in the blood and increases the toxicity of methotrexate.
- Aspirin has synergistic effects when used together with Meftal spas and may worsen the adverse event profile of any of the medications.
- It may antagonize the effects of gut motility agents such as metoclopramide and anti-glaucoma drugs.
- Mefenamic acid reduces the hypotensive effect of ACE inhibitors.
- Dicyclomine absorption in the presence of antacids reduced, while I dissolve with the absorption of drug forms, which can slowly disturb how digoxin dissolve, in which abnormally high concentrations of the drug occur.
- The risk of intestinal bleeding is greater when mefenamic acid is combined with warfarin than when used alone or separately.
- Meftal SPAS Tablet can interact with other drugs like amantadine, antidiabetics, antihistamines, benzodiazepines, corticosteroids.
The dose is based on your state of health and the response to the therapy. To reduce the risk of stomach bleeding and other side effects, take this medicine at the lowest effective dose as soon as possible.
Take only 3 Meftal Spa Tablets in a day. These are relatively safe for 1-3 days in a cycle. If you have regular periods, take the first dose before the period / pain starts. It may only require 3-4 doses. The shaking up of ice also helps.
Do not increase your dose, take it more often or take it longer than prescribed. In general, this medicine should not be taken for more than 7 days at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can I do if Meftal Spas overdose?
Overdose of Meftal spas can lead to diseases such as respiratory diseases and dysfunction of several organs. In case of overdose, go to the nearest hospital.
2. How to store Meftal Spas Tablet?
Meftal spas should be kept at room temperature. Do not put it in the fridge. Keep them out of the reach of children and pets.
3. Can I drive after taking Meftal Spas?
It is best to avoid driving immediately after taking Meftal spas, as this can cause drowsiness and head rotation and, in some cases, have a transient effect on the eyes.
4. How do Meftal spas work?
Meftal Spas blocks the release of various chemicals that cause fever, inflammation and pain. It is also used as an analgesic to relieve muscle pain and cramps in all parts of the body, such as headaches, toothaches, myalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.
5. What is the maximum safe dose of Meftal spas per day?
A maximum of three tablets per day is considered safe for consumption.
6. Is it safe to use Meftal Spas in Pregnancy?
It is not advisable to take it during pregnancy as this will damage the fetus. It is best to avoid it and consider home remedies replaced. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages with your doctor / gynecologist.
7. Is the Meftal Spas tablet safe while breastfeeding?
No, it should not be taken while breastfeeding because Meftal’s ingredients are transferred by the mother’s milk to the baby.
8. Does Meftal Spas affect liver function?
Use of this drug should be avoided in patients with underlying liver disease.
9. Is it dangerous to have Meftal spas with alcohol?
Drinking alcohol may increase the risk of side effects and cause drowsiness and excessive rest.
10. Are Meftal spas used to relieve pain during the heaviest periods and menstrual bleeding?
Yes, It can be used to relieve pain and bleeding during the heaviest periods and menstrual cramps. It works effectively to relieve pain and control blood flow. However, consult your doctor / gynecologist about this problem first.
11. How do I take the Meftal Spas tablet?
Meftal Spas can be consumed once or twice a day depending on the patient’s condition. This does not mean how you should take this medicine. Please consult your doctor for the correct dosage and duration and follow the doctor / gynecologist’s instructions.
12. Should I take Meftal Spas Tablet on an empty stomach before or after meals?
it should be consumed after meals to get the best results. However, this does not reflect how you should take the medication. Ask your doctor for advice and follow his recommendations.
13. Is it safe to handle or operate heavy machinery when using this Meftal spas??
If you experience drowsiness, dizziness and headache after consuming this medicine, do not use any type of machine. If the drug lowers blood pressure, the use of machines is not recommended. It is also advised not to drink alcohol with this medicine as it may cause hypotension. Always ask your doctor about your condition.
14. Is the Meftal Spas tablet Cause Addiction?
Medicines usually have no potential for addiction. Each drug in the controlled category is labeled as H or X. Check the drug package to make sure the drug does not fall into this category.
15. Can Meftal Spas be used to treat a headache?
Yes, it can be used to treat a headache. It is used to treat severe pain, such as menstrual cramps, periods of pain, toothache, muscle aches.
16. What Meftal spas is used for?
Meftal Tablet is used for the treatment and prevention of different conditions like Pain especialy for Menstrual Pain and cramps, it is also used for Irritable bowel syndrome, Fever etc. Check above for more.
17. can i take meftal spas in periods?
Yes This medicine is best for relieving menstrual pain.
18. What to do if i forgot to take the dose of Meftal Spas?
If you think you have forgotten the dose. Take it as soon as possible, but keep in mind if the time of next dose is close, then continue the regular dose except for the missed dose. And yes, do not take extra doses.