Spironolactone (Brand: Spilactone) is potassium sparing diuretic that acts by antagonism of aldosterone in the distal renal tubules.
Spilactone used mainly in the treatment of refractory edema in patients with congestive heart failure, nephrotic syndrome, or hepatic cirrhosis.
Its effects on the endocrine system are all used in the remedies of hirsutism and acne however they May Lead to adverse effects.
Spilactone Tablet is manufactured By Sun Pharma.
It’s also used to treat:
- Critical hypertension (hypertension having an unknown origin )
- High aldosterone level
- Hypokalemia (potassium deficiency)
- Acute heart failure
- Edema (fluid retention) from different ailments, including congestive heart failure, kidney disease, and cirrhosis (liver scarring).
- Acne in women
- Excess hair growth in women (hirsutism)
Mechanism of Action
Spilactone works by blocking aldosterone action. Aldosterone is a chemical produced by the body which could lead to water retention. This makes certain kidney, heart, and liver ailments worse. By blocking aldosterone, your own body will not keep fluid. This procedure also prevents potassium from being excreted from the body.
Spilactone may decrease your blood pressure by blocking aldosterone’s impact on blood vessels.
Black Box Warning
Spironolactone (Spilactone) carries a black-box warning to tumor threat, as a result of chronic toxicity studies that reveal spironolactone can lead to tumor growth in rats.
Spironolactone (Spilactone) should not be used with potassium-supplementing medications or diets since the excess potassium intake can lead to hyperkalemia, which may result in abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias).
This medication can let you get enlarged breasts (gynecomastia). This sometimes happens in both women and men. If this happens, your physician may stop your therapy with this medication. This symptom usually goes away as soon as you stop taking this medication.
Your health care provider will monitor your blood pressure and kidney function as you take this medication.
Spilactone is contraindicated in case of Hypersensitivity.
It is also contraindicated in conditions like anuria, hyperkalemia, Addison’s disease, and severe renal failure.
Spilactone Side Effects
The common side effects that can occur with spironolactone contain:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea and stomach cramping
- High potassium levels
- Leg cramps
- A headache
- irregular menstrual cycle or bleeding after menopause.
Serious side effects and their symptoms may contain the following:
- Allergic responses.
- Electrolyte and/or fluid issues.
- Dangerously high potassium levels.
- Breast enlargement (gynecomastia).
Spilactone in Pregnancy & Breast Feeding
Some research indicates that spironolactone has the capability to feminize male fetuses during early pregnancy and lead to endocrine difficulties in late pregnancy by inhibiting the action of penile hormones (androgens). Generally, diuretics like spironolactone are not advocated for pregnant ladies.
Spironolactone could pass into breastfeeding, but hasn’t yet been reported to cause problems in nursing babies.
If you use other medications or over the counter products in precisely the exact same time, the consequences of Spilactone Tablet can alter. This might increase your chance for side-effects or trigger your medication to not operate correctly. Tell your doctor about all the drugs, vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements You’re using, so You physician can help you prevent or handle drug interactions
Some products which may interact with spilactone include:
- Specific hormones (ACTH),
- Medications which might raise the amount of potassium in the blood (such as, amiloride, cyclosporine, eplerenone, tacrolimus, triamterene, birth control pills containing drospirenone).
Spilactone Tablets may interact with, Aspirin and Carbenoxolone.
Spironolactone (Spilactone) can be taken with or without meals.
- The dose range is 25-400 mg per day in single or divided doses.
- The initial dose for treating edema in adults is 100 mg daily as a single dose or divided doses.
- The dose could be corrected after 5 times based on the response. The first dose ought to be continued for at least 5 days prior to increasing the dose.
- When there’s absolutely no adequate answer after 5 days, another diuretic may be added.
- The dose for healing hypokalemia is 25 to 100 milligrams daily.
- The dosage for treating hypertension (hypertension) is 50 to 100 milligrams per day in single or divided doses.
- If overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- If you forget a dose, take it when you remember. When it’s near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and restart your regular dosing schedule. Don’t double the dose.