Are there any “over the counter best Adderall alternatives”? Can you buy them legally? Find out more in this article.
Adderall is the brand name for the combination of two prescription drugs, dextroamphetamine, and amphetamine. It is one of the most commonly used cognitive enhancers in the world. Many students use it to enhance their studying power during exams.
Adderall is a prescription drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD) and Narcolepsy.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurological problem that may affect children’s and young adults’ school learning and sports activities.
- While narcolepsy may affect job-related attention-seeking activities in adults, to address these problems, Adderall is used, which is a Prescription only medication (POM) containing four salts of amphetamine.
It is also used in sports activities for enhancing performance, as a recreational drug at parties, and as an aphrodisiac (off-label). In addition, Adderall increases cognitive abilities and causes specific other emotional effects, e.g., euphoria, increase libido, etc.
Students in colleges and universities most commonly use Adderall for wakefulness in exam preparation and score improvement.
Please remember that, It’s illegal and can’t be used without a doctor’s prescription…!!
Composition of Adderall/ generic formula
Adderall is a combination of four salts of amphetamine, including
- Amphetamine aspartate monohydrate=25%,
- Amphetamine sulfate= 25%,
- Dextro-amphetamine saccharate=25%,
- Dextro-amphetamine sulfate= 25%
They are all central nervous system stimulants and belong to the phenethylamine class, available in the market as Adderall, Adderall XR, and Mydayis.
Amphetamines are legal stimulant that is only available with a doctor’s prescription.
There are other legal stimulants like Nicotine and caffeine. However, caffeine is one of the world’s most commonly used legal stimulants.
How does Adderall work?
Adderall increases the activity of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, which interacts with specific brain receptors and, in turn, alleviates the symptoms of ADHD and narcolepsy.
If you are looking for natural Adderall alternatives, you should buy a supplement that can increase dopamine or norepinephrine activity.
[Note: We have included a list of best over-the-counter Adderall alternatives below, so keep reading]
Why is Adderall used so much in the USA?
According to studies, Adderall was the 45th most prescribed medication in the United States. In addition, the illegal use of Adderall and other products like Ritalin and Ice for recreational purposes and sports doping in larger doses increases its demand and consumption.
What are the side effects of Adderall?
Adderall is a controlled medicine and should be used only when prescribed by a doctor.
The side effects vary from person to person, commonly including sleep loss, dry mouth, and appetite loss.
At normal small doses for ADHD or other labeled indications, Adderall has a very low tendency for addiction.
However, large doses or illegal use may lead to addiction and impair cognitive control, causing muscle breakdown rapidly, which can induce delusions and paranoia.
The illegal use of large doses of Adderall for recreational purposes may pose serious addiction problems and cravings. Therefore the illicit use of Adderall must be demotivated.
Can Adderall be replaced with other prescription medications?
Adderall can be replaced with other nerve stimulants to treat ADHD and narcolepsy under registered medical practitioners’ directions. The products that can be used as an alternative to Adderall are,
- Ritalin —contains methylphenidate as a nerve stimulant.
- Other products include Concerta, Daytrana, Adhansia, etc., available as POM in the USA, but all of these stimulants have the same effect as addictive adverse effects.
The non-addictive alternatives for Adderall include Strattera (atomoxetine) can be used for ADHD. Antihypertensive medications like Tenex (guanfacine), Catapres (clonidine), and the narcolepsy medication Progvil (modafinil) can be used in adults who don’t respond to standard stimulant-based treatment.
Over the counter, Adderall/ OTC Adderall, is that a reality?
Most consumers who use Adderall for recreational, enhancing memory, sports doping, increased responsiveness, or addiction purposes always search to obtain the medication without a prescription or struggle for such substances, which may cope with a craving for Adderall.
As mentioned above, Adderall contains nerve-stimulant ingredients and is used in ADHD and narcolepsy as Prescription Only Medicine (POM). However, the recreational use of Adderall may produce significant health risks; therefore, possession and sale of this medication are dealt with strictly worldwide.
If you are looking for over-the-counter stimulants similar to Adderall in the market, stop wasting your time because Adderall contains synthetic constituents known as racemic amphetamine and cannot be sold without a proper prescription from any pharmacy or store. But if you are looking for a natural Adderall alternative, keep reading this, as we will discuss some of the best-selling and high-quality substitutes for Adderall.
What could be a legal non-prescription Adderall substitute?
If you are looking for an alternative to this drug that contains the same ingredients as Adderall and should be OTC or obtained without a prescription, consider this a myth because there is no such thing as “natural Adderall” or “over-the-counter Adderall.”
It is not Adderall, but it is the formula of Adderall, which requires the legal prescription of a doctor, and any other same product will also need the same procedure.
If you are not suffering from ADHD and narcolepsy, you still want it to enhance your brain power, focus, and concentration. In that case, many such products are available in the market, which can boost your energy levels, enhance your sports performances, increase your response time, boost your memory, and regulate your sleep-wake cycles.
In this article, we have compiled many over-the-counter stimulants similar to Adderall that can be obtained legally without a prescription.
Let’s look at some natural substances that can be used as an alternative to the above prescription drug.
Nutritional substances used Adderall replacement.
Adderall enhances dopamine and norepinephrine levels in the brain; therefore, certain nutritional substances can produce the same effects approximately with no or less adverse results. Moreover, the neuronal levels of serotonin and choline can also affect brain performance. There are certain supplements for Adderall replacement, but that doesn’t mean it is a complete substitute for the original Adderall.
Dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter in emotional, motivational, memorization activities and body movements. Normal and massive dopamine levels in our brains keep us calm, happy, and motivated. In contrast, low dopamine levels reduce motivation, enthusiasm, and interest in physical activities in situations that excite other people.
Brain dopamine levels can be naturally enhanced by;
- Eating lots of protein.
- Eating less saturated fat.
- Consuming probiotics
- Eating velvet beans
- Getting enough sleep
- Getting enough sunlight
- Considering supplements in your diet plan that contains dopamine.
Norepinephrine is a nervous system neurotransmitter that controls most fight-and-flight situations, helps in enthusiasm, and increases physical stamina during muscular activities. The levels of epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine can be obtained by consuming proteins and amino acids, e.g., L-tyrosine and supplements, which contain essential amino acids.
The following naturally occurring substances are proven to have the best effects on brain health and function, having different mechanisms to boost or increase neurotransmitter levels in the brain.
- Citicoline; useful for focus and learning,
- Alpha-GPC; helpful in working memory and attention,
- Caffeine plus theanine; is beneficial for mental stamina,
- Huperzine-A, which inhibits acetylcholinesterase, is useful for concentration,
- Rhodiola Rosea, an anxiolytic, helps reduce anxiety and promote cleat-headed focus.
- Ginkgo Biloba can also be the best alternative to Adderall, enhancing memory function and brain cell health.
Suggested products that can be used as the closest things to Adderall over the counter.
If you are looking for a natural Adderall or want to buy an over-the-counter legal alternative for Adderall, follow this detailed guide, you will find your answers and more. But remember that any natural supplement can’t replace Adderall—so no natural or OTC supplementation can equally produce the effects of pharmaceutical-grade amphetamines in this brand.
So what are the best nootropics when looking for an Adderall alternative?
Why Should You Trust My Listing?
As a pharmacist, I have a thorough understanding of how Adderall works in the body and its potential side effects. Therefore, I have extensively researched and compiled a list of safe, natural alternatives with similar results to Adderall. You can trust my listing because it’s based on my expertise and knowledge of pharmaceuticals and my dedication to finding safe and effective solutions for my clients.
Best Adderall Alternatives
Some pre-made nootropic stacks can increase concentration, improve working memory, and rapidly increase mental energy levels.
Every time you see a supplement that claims to be “legal Adderall,” you know this is a scam.
We are talking about premium professional brain supplements designed to simultaneously improve many different aspects of cognitive function.
The closest thing you’ll see over the counter is advanced, professional nootropic stacks.
1. Brain Pill—Most Powerful Natural Adderall Alternative
BrainPill is packed with ultra-high-quality ingredients working together to increase your cognition, improve your brain performance and help you recall information.
It contains Cognizin Citicoline—a well-known and most commonly used option to Adderall. This ingredient has proven clinically effective in promoting better energy levels, focus, and mental alertness.
Another great ingredient in this stack is Phosphatidylserine —a naturally occurring phospholipid that aids the body in maintaining a healthy brain, improves focus and concentration levels, and overall cellular function.
Other proven ingredients include amino acids such as L-Tyrosine, Theanine, and some herbal and organic ingredients like Huperzine A, Bacopa Monnieri, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic acid, and Ginkgo Biloba. All of these collectively help improve brain performance.
The product comes with a 67 days money-back guarantee. So, you have two months to evaluate the results, and if you are not satisfied, return the empty boxes and get your full refund.
The product comes in 60 capsules per pack. You must take two capsules daily with a glass of water, preferably after meals. The best place to buy this product is obviously their Official Company website.
- The product is formulated with research-based and proven ingredients.
- This product comes with 60+ days of the money-back guarantee.
- It is manufactured in a GMP-approved facility.
- You will need to purchase in bulk to get a discount.
- The product is expensive but provides great value for money.
2. Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is the closest thing to Adderall over the counter, and it is the combination of 11 evidence-based multitasking nootropics that focus on six ways of mental performance. These six pathways are brain energy, brain chemicals, brain circulation, brain regeneration, brain protection, and brain waves.
Mind Lab Pro was developed as a universal nootropic with diverse and powerful support for short-term cognitive function and long-term brain health.
It contains natural ingredients of the highest quality. Mind Lab Pro has “Sharp PS” instead of the generic phosphatidylserine. This is a more bioavailable form of generic PS. Mind Lab Pro also contains Citicoline in the form of cognizine. This is a much more advanced and beneficial form of CDP choline.
- Serving Size: 2 capsules in the morning or afternoon.
- Total servings per container: 60 capsules. (1 month supply)
- All ingredients are shown on the label.
- The product is third-party tested and contains high-quality ingredients.
- The company is known for fast Shipping.
- The stack is 100% Natural, with no addiction or dependency.
We Don’t Like;
- Expensive than its competitors
- It cannot easily be stacked with other supplements
3. Genius Joy – Serotonin Mood Booster
Genius Joy veggie capsules are a specially designed herbal formula containing only high-quality herbal ingredients, vitamins, and minerals to boost your brain performance, cognition, mood, and well-being. Some of the crucial constituents are;
- Neuro factors (Coffea arabica) =100mg- which aids in neuron development and protects against neurodegeneration,
- Purity (Griffonia simplicifolia seed) = 100mg, which increases the serotonin level in the brain to support feelings of well-being.
- S-Adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) Tosylate Disulfate (As Adomix) = 1000mg, which stabilizes mood and supports brain health,
- Rhodiola5Plus (Rhodiola Rosea) = 300mg, which boosts brain energy and enhances mental performance to achieve a positive mood.
- The product also contains a blend of B-complex vitamins and.D and essential amino acids like L-tyrosine and L-theanine, supporting increasing brain dopamine levels and other vital functions.
You must take one capsule in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Continue this dosage for the next three days to find the tolerance, and then increase it to an optimal dosage of 2 capsules in the morning and two capsules in the afternoon on an empty stomach. For best results, use for 60 days.
The product comes in 60 capsules container, enough for a month’s supply. Total servings per container: 60 capsules. (1 month supply).
- All ingredients are shown on the label.
- The ingredients are third-party tested for purity and safety.
- Genius Joy has a Fast Shipping policy.
- It is made from 100% natural nootropics.
- The product has a huge fan base and many satisfied customers.
We Don’t Like;
- Genius Joy is more expensive than its competitors.
- It cannot easily be stacked with other supplements.
4. Vital Vitamins Brain Supplement Nootropics Booster
This nootropic stack will help stimulate cognitive abilities through crucial nutrients. Each Vital Vitamins capsule contains highly effective ingredients that may help improve memory, mental clarity, focus, and alertness.
This capsule dosage form of nutritional supplement contains vitamin B12=500mcg, Bacopa monnieri extract (whole plant)= 300mg, phosphatidylserine 20%= 100mg, Ginkgo biloba=100mg, Rhodiola Rosea extract (root) = 50mg and DMAE (Dimethylaminoethanol) =50mg.
This is non-GMO verified, proving it to be organic and made under GMP guidelines. The product is third-party tested for its safety and projected efficacy.
- The serving size=1 capsule
- Total servings = 30 per pack
- It contains clinically proven ingredients like Bacopa Monnieri Extract, Phosphatidylserine, and Ginkgo Biloba.
- It is one of the best sellers supplements on Amazon.
- Vital vitamin nootropic is not expensive like its competitors.
- It is organic, 100% vegetarian, and free from toxic chemicals.
- There is no addiction or dependency associated with the use of this product.
- Excellent customer feedback.
We Don’t Like;
- It can cause some side effects like headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, etc.
- Some people didn’t notice any results after taking this brain booster.
- You can’t use it in children because of its dosage form.
5. Dr. Emil Nutrition Organic Lions Mane Mushroom
This formula is one hundred percent natural, third-party tested, and was supposed to enhance the nervous activity system and the immune system. The product contains naturally obtained organic ingredients such as organic lion’s mane mushroom powder =2100mg and the fruit of Piper nigrum, the black pepper extract = 10mg. The capsules are made from cellulose plant-source carbohydrates, making them suitable to be used by vegans.
- Dr. Emil Nutrition made its product from 100% vegetarian ingredients.
- The product is free from addiction and dependency.
- There reported no side effects of sudden fall in energy
- It is Non- GMO and purely organic.
- It is Third-party tested and made in the USA.
- Dr.Emil is made in an FDA-approved facility.
We Don’t Like;
- The product can’t be used on children.
- There is no amphetamine or methylphenidate in the product.
- It can’t be used in children because of its capsular form.
6. Cognitive Natural ADDI-A Adderall Style Supplement
ADDI-A is one of the best natural Adderall alternatives because this stack will improve your focus, clarity, and overall energy. The stack is packed with some powerful ingredients obtained from natural sources.
This capsule form of this nootropic formula contains ingredients including L-Carnitine=600mg, Lytrosine=600mg, Alpha GPC=300mg, L-theanine=200mg, caffien= 100mg, phosphate= 100mg, pine bark= 100mg, rhodiola= 100mg, teacrine= 100mg, and 50mg of astragin.
The above formula will help achieve a strong and clear mind to provide a suitable background for enhanced memory and strong academic performance. It can be used as a natural alternative to Adderall.
The product is available in capsule form, and the serving size is 2-3 capsules, which shall be consumed by healthy individuals with or without a meal. Total servings per container= 20
- Like other supplements, this one is also safe to use because it is 100% natural and vegetarian.
- It is made in a US FDA-approved facility.
- There are no hazardous chemicals or addiction and dependency.
- It can be used as an over-the-counter Adderall alternative.
- It Non- GMO, natural and third-party tested.
We Don’t Like;
- Some of the ingredients may not be safe for everyone.
- The stack is expensive as compared to other competitors.
- One customer experienced hot and cold flashes, pressure and tightness in the left arm, chest, and nausea.
7. Double Wood-Alpha GPC Choline Supplement
Double is another natural Adderall alternative and brain booster made from one of the most bioavailable forms of Choline currently available.
Choline is the precursor to the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine, which improves memory, learning ability, problem-solving, focus, and concentration. It also may help in promoting alertness, learning new skills, reflexes, and refreshing mood.
This product is available as dietary capsules =60 per packing, of which the serving size is two capsules, therefore containing 30 servings per packing. The product’s main ingredients contain Alpha GPC= 600mg, which helps regulate the brain’s Acetylcholine levels, an important neurotransmitter required for physical and psychological health. No more than eight capsules shall be consumed per day.
- The product work for memory enhancement and cognitive ability.
- Double wood alpha GPC is 100% natural and made in the USA.
- There are no addiction and dependency, or withdrawal effects.
- No adverse effects of sudden fall in energy have been reported till now.
- The product is Non- GMO and purely organic.
- The supplement is a Third-party tested supplement.
We Don’t Like;
- Double wood alpha GPC is not recommended in children.
- Also, the stack is expensive.
- A pregnant and nursing woman should consult a physician before using this product.
- It contains soy, which may lead to allergies in certain people.
8. Sports Research- L-Theanine
Sports Research is another best nootropic supplement to promote healthy brain performance and improve focus and clarity. L-Theanine in this stack has been shown to promote relaxation without causing drowsiness. The product also claims to improve sleep quality, heighten mental acuity & reduce the negative side effects of caffeine.
Sports Research Theanine is available in liquid soft gels capsular form as a dietary supplement containing caffeine or xanthine derivatives, including; L-theanine= 200mg, caffeine=100mg. The product also contains triglycerides as MCTs =500mg per serving. All the ingredients are Non-GMO and Kosher gelatin as soft gel purely vegetarian.
The product comes in easy to swallow 60 soft pills bottle, and you will need to take one soft gel per day with a glass of water.
- This is a verified Non-GMO and Vegetarian stack.
- Also, the Sports Research supplement is free from artificial excipients and other harmful substances.
- The product is also keto certified.
- The supplement is designed in such a way that it absorbs rapidly.
- It comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee
- This stack uses Kosher gelatin.
- There are more servings per container, enough for two months.
We Don’t Like;
- It contains tree nuts (coconut) which can cause allergies in some consumers.
- It cannot be used by children and those sensitive to caffeine and its derivatives.
- Alpha GPC is also free from amphetamine or methylphenidate.
- Pregnant and nursing women should first consult a physician before using this product.
9. NatureBell- Huperzine A 400mcg
This product is a dietary supplement available in the form of capsules. It contains Huperzine-A = 400mcg per serving, supposed to boost neurotransmitter levels in the brain to support memory, mental clarity, cognition, and focus. The product is organic and free from dairy or animal-sourced ingredients, suitable to be used by vegans and vegetarians.
Serving size =2 capsules taken with or without a meal or as directed by a health care professional, total servings per container= 90
- The product is free from soy, Non-GMO, gluten-free, and dairy-free products.
- Nature Bell Huperzine A is made in the USA and is a third-party tested supplement.
- The product is 100% natural, organic, and vegan.
- There is no addiction as it is made from natural ingredients.
- No sudden fall of energy after effect.
- The ingredients are USP pharmaceutical grade.
- You don’t need any doctor’s prescription to use it.
- Amazing customer feedback with a 4.5/5 star rating.
We Don’t Like
- The supplement can’t be used in children to treat ADHD.
- Some people think it didn’t work and is misleading the consumers.
What is the Closest Thing to Adderall over the counter?
Honestly, there is no such thing as natural Adderall, over-the-counter Adderall, or an Adderall substitute. Unfortunately, Adderall can’t be 100% replaced as a supplement, but the above-discussed nootropics are the best natural over-the-counter Adderall alternatives on the market.
Adderall vs. OTC Alternatives – Which one should I take?
If you were diagnosed with severe ADHD and your doctor thinks you would benefit from Adderall, you should follow his advice.
If this is not the case for you, you should not use Adderall. In addition, you should never use prescription drugs without a doctor’s prescription. This is especially true for medications such as Adderall that contain amphetamines.
So, if you’re looking for more focus, better working memory, and more mental energy, use natural Adderall replacements.
Verdict—Best Adderall Alternatives
If you are looking for natural and over-the-counter alternatives to Adderall that can enhance focus, improve working memory, and drastically increase mental energy levels. In that case, the above nootropics, in our opinion, are the closest and the best natural OTC Adderall alternatives on the market right now.
But the question is, which one of the above eight best Adderall Alternatives, and which one do we recommend?
Our top recommendation is Brain Pill.
- Nutrafol Review: Men & Women’s, Is it Worth It?
- 10 best Omega 3 supplements for vegans
- Heal-n-Soothe Review: Ingredients, Uses, Side Effects, etc
- 5 Best Supplements for Dopamine Deficiency