Medical experts suggest avoiding all types of medicine in the first trimester of pregnancy and the reason is simple this is the high time for any unexpected side effects such as birth defects and many other unwanted effects.
However, there are some conditions where you need to take medicine, then you should consult your physician because there are thousands of medicine and FDA and other research teams check each and every medicine for its effects on pregnant women before it comes to the market.
Here is a list of some medicine that should be avoided in pregnancy but that doesn’t mean that this list is complete, there are many other drugs that can cause certain serious side effects in women. so always discuss with your doctor before using any medicine if you are pregnant.
1) Antibiotics Drugs to avoid during pregnancy
- Fluoroquinolones (such as ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, levofloxacin, and norfloxacin)
- Sulfonamides (such as sulfasalazine and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole)
Abnormalities Caused By These Drugs
Possibility of bone and joint abnormalities (seen only in animals)
2) Anticonvulsants drugs to avoid during pregnancy
Abnormalities Caused By These Drugs
- Bleeding problems in the newborn. This Problem Can be prevented by Taking Vitamin K Orally 30 Days Before Delivery
- Cause Risk of birth defects, including neural tube defects (such as spina bifida)
- Valproate Cause Some (1%) risk of birth defects, including neural tube defects (such as a meningomyelocele), cleft palate, and defects of the face, the heart, skull, limbs, and spine
3) Antihypertensives Drugs to avoid during pregnancy
a)Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
Abnormalities Caused By These Drugs: Serious Injury To The Fetus, May Cause Kidney Damage In The Fetus, Reduce Amniotic Fluid, Also Cause Defects Of Lungs, Face And Limbs
b)Calcium Channel Blockers
- Nifedipine (sustained-release only)
- Diltiazem(sustained-release only)
Abnormalities Caused By CCB:
Fluid retention in the ankles, Dizziness, headache, flushing, heartburn, an abnormally fast heart rate (tachycardia), And enlarged gums.
Verapamil also caused Constipation.
c)Beta-Blockers drugs to avoid during pregnancy
Problems Caused By Beta-Blockers:
Beta-Blockers Caused Slow Growth Rate In The Fetus And Also Cause Low Level Of Blood Sugar And Low Heart Rate.
d)Thiazide Diuretics drugs to avoid during pregnancy
Problems Caused By Diuretics:
Taking Thiazide Diuretics During Pregnancy Will Cause Decrease In The Level Of oxygen, Potassium Sodium. Also, Decrease In Number Of Platelets In The Fetus. Inadequate Growth Before Birth.
4) Antianxiety drugs to avoid during pregnancy
Abnormalities Caused By Diazepam :
When This Drug Is Taken In The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy It causes irritability, exaggerated reflexes in the newborn depression, and shaking.
5) Mood-stabilizing drugs to avoid during pregnancy
Poor feeding, Lethargy, reduced muscle tone, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus in the newborn, And under activity of the thyroid gland.
6) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Aspirin and other salicylates
Problems Or Abnormalities :
When the medication is taken in large doses, probably miscarriages during the first trimester, a delay within the begin of labor, premature closing of the connection between the aorta and artery to the lungs (ductus arteriosus), jaundice, necrotizing enterocolitis (damage to the liner of the intestine), and (occasionally) brain injury within the fetus and bleeding issues within the woman throughout and after delivery and/or within the newborn
When the medication is taken late in pregnancy, a discount in the amount of fluid around the developing fetus.
- Synthetic progestins (but not the low doses used in oral contraceptives)
(When Synthetic Progestin And Danazol are taken In The early stages Of pregnancy, masculinization of a female fetus’s genitals, sometimes requiring surgery for correction)
- Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
(Abnormalities of the penis in sons. Abnormalities of the uterus, an increased risk of vaginal cancer, menstrual problems, and complications during pregnancy in daughters)
Vaccines for polio, measles, mumps or yellow fever
This Vaccine causes Potential infection of the placenta and developing a fetus.
Vaccine for chickenpox (varicella) and rubella.
This Is Associated With Unknow Risks.
9)Drugs Used In Skin Treatment:
Both Of These Drugs Cause Birth defects, such as small ears, heart defects, and hydrocephalus.
While Isotretinoin Also Cause Intellectual disability And Risk of miscarriage.
10) Oral and diabetic drugs to avoid during pregnancy
Problems/Abnormalities Caused By These Drugs :
Inadequate control of diabetes in pregnant women when a Pregnant woman with type 2 diabetes Take The Drugs, the possibility of increased risk of miscarriage Is More. Also, Cause a very low blood sugar level in the newborn.