Prebiotics are non-digestible food ingredients that are used selectively in the colon to multiply healthy bacteria.
They promote digestion and stimulate the production of valuable vitamins. They also promote the growth of beneficial bacteria (lactobacilli and bifidobacteria) to feed without the “bad” types. Good bacteria play an important role in regulating your immune system, inhibiting the growth of pathogens (disease-causing bacteria) and digesting food. Galactooligosaccharides (GOS) are the most advanced form of prebiotics
They were first identified by Marcel Roberfroid in 1995.
Prebiotic fiber passes undigested to the small intestine and ferment when they reach the colon.
Researchers have found that probiotics are useful for increasing the beneficial bacteria already found in the intestine, which reduces the risk of disease and improves overall well-being. Prebiotic fiber are not as vulnerable as probiotic bacteria, since they are not affected by heat, gastric or time. The fermentation process also does not differ depending on the person.
Prebiotic supplements are different from probiotic supplements, as they are very stable and reach the intestine intact. In addition, all prebiotics are not the same and some are more selective for good bacteria than others and offer them for the unique characteristics.
Originally prebiotics were not classified as fiber connections, but recent research has shown that these compounds behave like other fiber forms. These days, prebiotic carbohydrates that have been studied in people, mostly fructans or galactans, both of which are fermented by anaerobic bacteria in the colon.
“A prebiotic is a selectively fermented ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and in the activity in the gastrointestinal microbiota that benefits the welfare and health of the host.”
Difference Betweenn Probiotics And Prebiotics
- Probiotics are Live Bacteria
- Found in certain foods or supplements such as Yogurt etc.
- They can be killed by heat, stomach acid, or simply die with time.
- Examples: Bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.
- These are Non-living & Non-digestible fiber.
- They occur naturally in fruits and vegetables such as garlic, asparagus, onion.
- They are resistant To stomach acid or other enzyme.
- They acts as a fertilizer for the good bacteria in your gut.
What If You Don’t Take Prebiotics
- Higher levels of inflammation,
- Lower immune function,
- Higher likelihood of weight gain and
- A raised risk for various chronic diseases.
Benefits Of Using Prebiotics
Prebiotic work naturally in your gut to feed existing good bacteria, helping them to grow and multiply. Important benefits can include the following:
- Prebiotics help “improve stool quality (frequency and consistency)
- Reduces the risk of gastroenteritis and infections.
- Improving the barrier function of the gut.
- It prevent cancer,
- Strengthening the immune system
- Lower inflammation and autoimmune reactions.
- Boosting overall digestive health.
- Help Lower Inflammation.
- Lowering some risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
- Enhancing your body’s nutrition by allowing better mineral and nutrient uptake.
- Contributing positively to your mental health.
- Minimising the risk of developing diarrhoea.
- Increasing absorption of calcium to improve bone density.
- Prebiotics Also Protect Bones
- Regulate glucose.
Sources Of Prebiotics
The Major Source of Prebiotics is dietary fibre.Following are some of the best source of prebiotocs
- Apple With Skin
- Onion and Garlic
- Wheat Bread
- Chicory Root
- Dandelion Greens
- Under-ripe bananas
- Acacia gum
- Jerusalem artichoke
Prebiotics Side effects:
It Is generally well tolerated But Some Time It Cause Certain Side Effects Because Of Interaction With Normal Flora Of The Gut That’s Why Some People may find it difficult to use as it takes a few days for their system to adjust.Natural Prebiotics are as important and safe as your food but some prebiotics product may cause some side effects such as:
- Tummy gurgling
- Excess of gas in the intestine
- Abdominal bloating and