Espumisan is the brand name of simethicone and belongs to a class of medications known as antiflatulence. It is used to relieve the painful symptoms of excess gas in the stomach and intestines.
Simethicone was approved for the first time in 1952 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Espumisan is available in the form of capsules and drops.
- capsule 40 mg.
- capsule 80 mg.
- drops 100 mg / 1 ml.
Other brands include lefax and koolox.
It is used to treat pain and discomfort caused by excessive gas in the intestine and stomach in cases such as the following:
- Flatulence and
- Postoperative gas expansion.
- Used before endoscopy to remove foam, gas and air from the gastrointestinal tract to reduce gas shading and obtain better visualization.
It works in the stomach and intestine to alter the surface tension of gas bubbles, which causes them to collapse and form larger bubbles. This allows the gas bubbles in the stomach and intestine to attach more easily, which facilitates the passage of gas.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist before taking Simethicone
- If you are allergic to it or to any other ingredient in this product; or if you have any other allergies
- If you are pregnant before taking this medicine.
Espumisan Side Effects
Simethicone generally does not cause side effects when taken as directed. However, you should inform your doctor if you notice any unusual symptoms.
The common side effects can be:
- Loose stool
- Vomiting and
Espumisan In Pregnancy
Simethicone is generally considered safe during pregnancy because the placenta does not pass. The medication is also considered safe for nursing babies.
There is no evidence that simethicone passes into breast milk or not; Consult your doctor first if you are breast-feeding.
Espumisan In Dosage
The medication can be used in adults, children and infants, and is generally considered safe for newborns.
The recommended dose for gas relaxation is 40-125 mg 4 times a day after meals and before bedtime. The drops can be mixed with water, baby food or other liquids for use in young children.
- Espumisan dose For babies (0-12 months) 25 drops per day. It is recommended to use 8 drops three times a day (every 8 hours). Add drops to the bottle and give them to your baby before breastfeeding.
- It’s dose for children between 1-6 years 25 drops, 3 to 5 times a day.
- It’s dose for Children 6-14 years 25-50 drops, 3 to 5 times per day.
- The capsules form can be used in patients older than 6 years (two capsules, 3-4 times per day).
Never use more than the recommended dose of simethicone.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Espumisan Safe with alcohol?
The interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before taking.
2. Is Espumisan habit forming?
No habit forming tendency has been reported.
3. Is Espumisan safe to Use during pregnancy?
This medication is not recommended for pregnant women unless it is necessary. All risks and benefits should be discussed with your doctor before taking this medicine.
4. Is Espumisan safe to use during breastfeeding?
This medication is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding unless necessary. All risks and benefits should be discussed with your doctor before taking this medicine.
5. What should I do in an emergency or overdose of Espumisan?
If you suspect an overdose, immediately contact a poison control center or emergency room.
6. What to do if i missed a dose of Espumisan ?
If you miss a dose of simethicone, take it as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose. Then skip the missed dose and continue with your usual dosing schedule.
7. What are the uses for Espumisan?
It is used to treat and prevent conditions and symptoms such as pain and discomfort caused by excessive gas in the intestine and stomach. Check above uses.
8. What is the dosage for Espumisan?
See above dosage portion.
9. What are the side effects of Espumisan?
The most common side effects associated with the use of Simethicone is Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and headache.