Paroxetine belongs to a group of medication referred to as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and is employed as an antidepressant. Paroxetine affects chemicals within the brain that may be unbalanced in individuals with depression, anxiety, or alternative disorders.Paroxetine and different antidepressants are required to hold a black-box warning due to an increased risk of suicide.
- Paroxetine is a potent and extremely selective inhibitor of neuronal serotonin re-uptake. Paroxetine probably inhibits the uptake of serotonin at the neuronic membrane, enhances serotonergic neurotransmission by reducing turnover of the neurotransmitter, so it prolongs its activity at junction receptor sites and potentiates 5-HT within the CNS; paroxetine is more potent than other selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors|SSRI} and fluoxetine in its ability to inhibit 5-HT reuptake. Compared to the tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs have dramatically minimized binding to histamine, acetylcholine, and noradrenaline receptors. The mechanism of action for the treatment of vasomotor symptoms is unknown.
- Pregnant women shouldn’t take Paroxetine, significantly in early pregnancy and through the last few months of pregnancy. The drug could cause heart defects in unborn babies and has been connected to other health issues in newborns.
- The more common side effects of paroxetine oral pill, oral extended-release pill, and oral solution will include:sleepiness, dizziness, weakness, reduced sexual desire, delayed ejaculation, impotence, shaking, dry mouth, infection, headache, nausea, anxiousness or wakefulness, sweating, reduced appetite, constipation, yawning, fatigue whereas Serious side effects and their symptoms will include the following: serotonin syndrome or neuroleptic malignant syndrome-like reactions, Severe hypersensitive reactions, Seizures or convulsions, Changes in appetency or weight, Bone fracture, Changes in mood, anxiety or behavior, Eye issues, Abnormal hemorrhage, manic episodes And Low Na levels.
- it is prescribed as a once-daily dose, to be taken within the morning. There are many strengths of paroxetine tablets – 10 mg, 20 mg, and 30 mg. Your doctor can tell you which ones strength is right for you.For major Depression in adults, 20 mg daily raised after 3-4 weeks if necessary.Maximum dose per day is 60mg and for child age 8-18 years 10 mg daily increased after 1-2 weeks if necessary, and maximum dose just in case of a toddler is 20 mg daily.
- The dose for obsessive-compulsive disorder in adult over 18 years is 20 mg daily and a maximum dose is 60 mg daily .while in case of the older individuals maximum dose is 40 mg daily however 60 mg are often used.
Related article: Important information About Cefixime