Clindamycin was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1970. Clindamycin is a Lincosamide antibiotic used for treatment of serious infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It is most often used for treating penicillin-allergic patients or in other situations where penicillin or other such antibiotics cannot be used.Examples of infections that are treated with clindamycin include:pneumonitis, and lung abscess)Serious skin and soft tissue infections,Serious respiratory tract infections (for example, empyema,Female pelvic and genital tract infections (for example, endometritis) and ovarian abscess.
- The usual adult dose is 150 – 300 mg 4 times a day (every six hours) depending on the severity of the infection your doctor may prescribe 300 – 450 mg every six hours.while The usual dose for paediatric population is 3 – 6 mg/kg 4 times a day (every six hours) depending on the severity of the infection.Children under one year of age and/or under 10 kg may require a lower dose.
- It blocks protein synthesis of bacterium by binding to the 50S ribosomal subunits of the bacterium. Specifically, it binds primarily to the 23s RNA subunit. Topical clindamycin reduces free fatty acid concentrations on the skin and suppresses the expansion of Propionibacterium acnes (Corynebacterium acnes) , an anaerobe found in sebaceous glands and follicles.
- Common side effects of Clindamycin include;nausea,diarrhea,vomiting,joint pain,stomach pain,sore throat,vaginal itching or discharge,skin rash or itching,heartburn,changes in bowel habits .Some of the serious side effects of Clindamycin including;dark urine or changes in the amount of urine,yellowing eyes/skin (jaundice).
- Clindamycin falls into pregnancy category B. Studies in animals have failed to demonstrate a risk to the unborn baby and there are no proven risk in human.clindamycin generally considered to be safe during pregnancy.
- Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to lincomycin; or if you have any other allergies,Tell about your medical history, especially of: kidney disease,liver disease,stomach/intestinal diseases (e.g., colitis, Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea), allergic conditions (e.g., asthma, hay fever, eczema).Also Tell your doctor or dentist before having surgery that you are using this drug.