Amlodipine is a calcium Channel Blocker and is employed to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Amlodipine helps to stop future heart disease,heart attack strokes and is also used to prevent pain caused by angina.
- Generally, it is avoided in pregnancy and by nursing mothers and children though there aren’t any adequate studies of amlodipine use throughout pregnancy.It is not known whether or not amlodipine is excreted in breast milk. Generally, amlodipine is avoided in pregnancy, and by nursing mothers and children.
- Amlodipine blocks calcium from coming into certain tissues and arteries. This makes it easier for them to relax so blood can flow more easily to your heart. This helps lower your blood pressure. It additionally reduces your risk for heart attack or stroke. If you’re taking this drug for chest pain, this reduces your risk of hospitalization and surgeries as a result of chest pain.
- Most common side effects happen in more than 1 in 100 individuals. they’re sometimes mild and short-lived.Following are common side effects; headache, dizziness, flushing, pounding, heartbeat, swollen ankles while Serious side effects are rare and happen in less than 1 in 10,000 people;stomach issues ,yellow skin or eyes ,chest pain.
- Usual recommended Adult Dose of Amlodipine for hypertension is 5 mg initially orally once every day followed by 5 to 10 mg maintanance dose orally once every day.Maximum dose is 10 mg/day.
- Usual Adult Dose for angina pectoris and coronary artery disease is 5 to 10 mg orally once every day as a maintanance dose .10 mg/day (Maximum dose).
- Usual Geriatric Dose of Amlodipine for high blood pressure is 2.5 mg orally as a Initial dose once every day while Maintenance dose of 2.5 to 10 mg orally once every day.10 mg/day (Maximum dose).
- Usual Geriatric Dose for angina is 5 mg as Initial dose orally once a day then 5 to 10 mg Maintenance dose orally once every day.10 mg/day(Maximum dose).
- Usual Pediatric (6 to 17 years) Dose for high blood pressure is 2.5- 5 mg Maintenance dose orally once every day.5 mg/day(Maximum dose).