Domperidone (Brand Name: Motilium) is a Dopamine Receptor blocker which speeds gastrointestinal peristalsis, causes prolactin release, and is used as antiemetic.
Domperidone is available in the following dosage forms:
Motilium (Domperidone) Uses
- Motilium is a medication that increases the movements or contractions of the stomach and intestine.
- Domperidone is additionally used to treat nausea and emesis caused by other medicine.
- Used to treat Parkinson’s Diseases such as levodopa, pramipexole, and apomorphine.
- It is used in the management of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Epigastric Pain.
- Heart Burn.
Mechanism Of Action Of Motilium
- Motilium works by blocking chemicals in the brain and the intestine. This causes improved movements and faster gastric emptying which helps in the prevention of vomiting.
- Domperidone is associated with its dopamine receptor obstruction activity at both the receptor trigger zone and at the gastric level. it’s robust affinities for the D2 and D3 dopamine receptors, that are found within the chemoreceptor trigger zone, placed simply outside the blood-brain barrier, which – among others – regulates nausea and emesis
Direction For Use:
Take this medicine orally as it is usually prescribed 30 minutes before eating and at bedtime. Do not increase your dose or take it more often than stated. Your condition does not get better faster, but it increases the risk of side effects.
Motilium Side effects :
Side effects related to Motilium include
- Abdominal cramps,
- Dry mouth,
- Breast enlargement,
- Breast pain/tenderness,
- Gynecomastia, and
- Menstrual irregularities).
Other side effects include
- Extrapyramidal symptoms,
- Parkinsonian symptoms,
- Tardive dyskinesia, and
Domperidone is contraindicated in the following situations:
- Known hypersensitivity to domperidone or to any of the excipients.
- In patients with moderate to severe hepatic dysfunction.
- Concomitant use with strong inhibitors of CY3A4 (regardless of its QT prolongation effect)
- Patients are already known to prolong cardiac conduction intervals, especially QTc, patients with significant electrolyte imbalance or heart disease such as heart failure
- A pituitary tumor that releases prolactin (prolactinoma)
- kidney dysfunction
- Domperidone should not be used in the stimulation of gastric motility can be harmful: gastrointestinal bleeding, mechanical obstruction, or perforation.
- Domperidone tablets contain lactose and may not be suitable for patients with lactose intolerance, galactosemia, or glucose/galactose malabsorption.
- Motilium should be used with caution in Children, in People over 60 years of age.
Domperidone (Motilium) Use in Pregnancy :
- The safety of this medication to be used throughout pregnancy has not been established. It mustn’t be utilized in pregnant women unless the potential advantages to the mother outweigh any risks to the developing baby. It should only be used if the drugs is considered essential by your doctor. ask your doctor for any recommendation.
Motilium Interactions With Other Drugs
Because it improves movement in the digestive tract, it can affect the absorption and effects of other medications. Therefore, it is important to tell your doctor about any over-the-counter or prescription medications you can take, including:
- MAOIs (eg, Furazolidone, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine).
- Concurrent use of Motilium with Ketoconazole or any other azole derivatives increase the level and cause cardiovascular side effects.
- Avoid Concurrent use of antiarrhythmics, some fluoroquinolones, antipsychotics, beta-2 adrenergic agonists, antimalarials, SSRIs, tri/tetracyclic antidepressants, and nefazodone with Motilium as it increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Do not start or stop medications without the approval of a doctor or pharmacist.
Motilium Dosage information:
- Take this medication orally as prescribed usually half-hour before meals and at times of day.
- The dose for adults and for young people aged over 16 years is 10 mg (one tablet) up to three times a day. don’t take more than 3 doses in any 24-hour period.
- If it’s been prescribed for a toddler, the dose is going to be printed on the label of the pack to remind you what the doctor said.
- Don’t increase your dose or take this more typically than directed. Your condition won’t improve any faster however the chance of side effects will be increased.
How to Store Motilium?
Storage at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C) protected from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom.