As a pharmacist, people often ask me what the best supplement for regular bowel movement is? So in this article, I will explain the vitamins and minerals that are important for relieving constipation. I will also add some best brands at the end of this article.
You are constipated If you have a dry, painful, and hard stool with less than three bowels movement per week.
You may experience constipation due to many reasons, such as the foods you eat, lifestyle choices, the medicines you take, or you may have an underlying medical condition.
Many natural and home remedies such as drinking more water, eating more fiber, especially soluble fibers, drinking more coffee, taking senna, and doing regular exercise can treat your occasional constipation.
You can also use probiotics foods such as yogurt, supplements containing probiotics, and over the counter laxatives for relieving your constipation.
Supplements containing Vitamin C, vitamin B1, B5, B12, and Folic acid may also ease your constipation. It is important to note that increasing these vitamins from the recommended intake will do more harm than good.
- Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that works as a natural laxative. They pull water into your intestine because this vitamin has an osmotic effect on your GI system.
- Vitamin B5, however, has a different mechanism and may help you in another way. It helps relax your digestive muscles and improve bowel movement.
- Folic acid and vitamin B1 can improve your digestion, helping speed up digestion and bowel movement.
- The deficiency of vitamin B12 can cause constipation. So if you have constipation, increase the intake of vitamin B12 supplementation.
Note: It is essential to know that the intake of specific vitamins and minerals can aggravate your constipation, like calcium and iron. Other ingredients used in supplement formulation like talc and lactose may also cause constipation.
In this article, we will discuss the best supplement for regular bowel movement.
1. Physician Choice Probiotics 60 Billion CFU
⇒ Best Probiotic For Constipation
This is the most popular probiotic brand with 10 probiotic strains, 60 Billion CFU, and an organic prebiotic blend.
The best thing about this brand is that it is made up of natural ingredients and comes in a shelf-stable container that protects it from light, oxygen, and moisture, so you don’t have to worry about refrigeration.
It contains all those bacterial strains that help relieve constipation. The strains include but are not limited to Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, and Lactobacillus Plantarum. It also contains some prebiotic fibers from artichoke root, chicory root, and fibregum bio to support digestive health further.
One customer wrote: Throughout my life, I have experienced constipation, and I have tried everything, but nothing has worked for me, then I started using Physician’s choice 60 billion probiotics. According to this customer, Physician choice has changed her life, and she recommends it to other people.
Why do we recommend it?
- It is one of the best-selling Probiotics with a 4.5/5 rating on Amazon and thousands of verified customer reviews.
- The total global ratings on Amazon were over 31000 (At the time of writing this review).
- It is shelf-stable and doesn’t need any refrigeration.
- The ingredients present in this formulation will help your gut health and relieve constipation and other intestinal issues.
- It’s certified organic, GMO-free, and vegan.
- It is a third-party tested for safety and efficacy.
2. Bronson Vitamin C Powder Pure Ascorbic Acid
⇒Best vitamin C brand
As I have already discussed above, vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that pulls the water to the intestine and makes stool soft and moves easily from the intestine.
For that purpose, I researched many brands and found the Bronson Vitamin C, which is available in a soluble crystal form and is one of the best available brands on Amazon.
The company behind this formulation is in the field for the last 60 years, and according to them, this product was developed by a group of pharmacists.
Why do we recommend this product?
- A one-year hassle-free money-back guarantee backs this product.
- It helps promote a healthy immune system, best supplement for a regular bowel movement, and protect your cells by promoting antioxidant status.
- Also, it is GMO-free and manufactured in a cGMP certified facility.
- The product has 83% five-star ratings on Amazon, and the overall rating is 4.7/5, which is amazing.
- Most of the customers have praised their efficacy and potency.
3. NOW Supplements, Psyllium Husk Caps
⇒ Best Fiber Supplement for Constipation
Every single capsule of NOW Psyllium Husk contains 700 mg of fiber and 50 mg of pectin. Psyllium Husks and Apple Pectin is one of the most convenient ways to increase dietary fiber intake.
Psyllium husk can swell up to 50x when added to liquid. That’s why it is the best supplement for a regular bowel movement, and it is crucial to maintain your digestive health.
The NOW Psyllium husk capsule is Non-GMO, Keto free, Gluten-free, and Keto friendly. It is manufactured in a GMP certified facility, and the product in this facility are tested for purity and efficacy.
The only problem with the product is that the pills are huge, and it’s tough to swallow it quickly and maybe an issue for many people.
You will need to take 2-3 capsules per day with 2 oz of water 2-3 times a day.
You can read this post if you are looking for the Best Insoluble Fiber Supplement For Constipation.
Why do we recommend it?
- NOW is an excellent company with quality products.
- Customer reviews are also satisfactory, and many people like this product.
- NOW is especially for you if you have issues with the powder form of Psyllium husk.
- This product is free from artificial color, flavor, harmful pesticides, hidden steroids, and other toxins.
4. Garden of Life B12 – Vitamin Code Raw B-12
⇒Best B12 Brand
Vitamin B12 is also known as cobalamin. This vitamin is vital for many health, including your nerve and brain health. It is also essential for making DNA and red blood cells.
The Garden of Life B12 is the combination of Vitamin B12, probiotics, and enzymes to promote a healthy digestive system.
It is the best supplement for regular bowel movement as it can help prevent occasional constipation, deficiency-caused decreased energy, anemia, and fatigue.
This one is also the best pill for all those nonvegetarians that are not taking enough vitamin b12 from food as vitamin b12 is most commonly found in animal and dairy products.
Why do we recommend it?
- They have used the only clean, organic, and whole food ingredients that are traceable back to the seed.
- It is also free from artificial sweeteners, colors, and other toxic chemicals.
- It is also Non-GMO with no synthetic ingredients.
- This product is third-party tested for purity and e
- Delighted customer base with over 82% 5/5 rating.
Here is a list of the best brands of these vitamins
5. Culturelle Kids Regularity Probiotic & Fiber Dietary Supplement
⇒Best Probiotic Supplement for Babies
If you are a parent of a child looking for a constipation remedy, this Culturelle Kid supplement is the ideal option for you.
It is a combination of probiotics and fiber that can help restore your kid digestive system and improve bowel movement.
It contains 2.5 billion CFU’s of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and 3.5grams of dietary fiber that balance the intestinal bacteria in your kid digestive track.
The usual recommended dose for children age 1-6 is one packet once a day, while for 6-12, it’s one packet two times a day. The best way to use it is to empty the whole packet into cold food or a beverage. It’s important to note that increasing the dose from the recommended might be harmful to your baby.
Why do we recommend it?
- It is the #1 pediatrician recommended brand.
- It is specially designed for kids age 1+ years.
- It is free of dairy, sugar, and other harsh chemicals.
- It’s easy to use and can be mixed in food or beverages.
- The majority of the customers were happy, and the overall rating on Amazon is 4.7/5 (when the total reviews were 3813)
As a pharmacist which one I recommend?
- If you are an adult and suffering from constipation and looking for a probiotic supplement, we recommend the Physician Choice probiotic supplement because it has high-quality ingredients; in that case, it is one of the best selling probiotic supplements on the market with thousands of verified customer reviews.
- If you are looking for a probiotic supplement for kids, the Culturelle Probiotics Kid is the ideal formula for you as it is specially designed for kids over age one year.
- If you are looking for vitamins that can promote your bowel movement, you can buy one of the above-discussed brands. We recommend Bronson vitamin C formula for Vitamin C, while for fibers, we recommend NOW Psyllium Husk formula.
You can buy these supplements if you agree with our recommendation, and if you disagree, it’s totally fine and up to.