Tazocin is the brand name of the combination of piperacillin 2.5 g+ tazobactam 0.25g and it is available in the form of Powder for parenteral injection.This Combination does not increase the activity of piperacillin against pseudomonas.This is due to the fact that pseudomonas produce chromosomal beta lactamases, against which tazobactum is not effective .Antimicrobial spectrum of this combination seems to similar to that of ticarcillin and clavulanate combination.
Tazocin is used to treat many different infections caused by bacteria, such as
- Hospital accquired pneumonia,complicated intra abdominal infection, septicaemia (Blood Poisoning),
- Complicated infection involving urinary tract infections and skin and soft tissue infections.
- It is also used in infections in neutropenic patients (Low white Blood Count)
Mechanism Of Action
Tazocin Inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis by binding to one or more of the penicillin binding proteins (PBPs); that successively inhibits the ultimate transpeptidation step of peptidoglycan synthesis in bacterial cell walls, so inhibiting cell wall synthesis. bacteria eventually lyse as a result of ongoing activity of cell wall autolytic enzymes (autolysins and murein hydrolases) whereas cell wall assembly is arrested. Tazobactam inhibits several beta-lactamases, as well as staphylococcal penicillinase and richmond and Sykes types II, III, IV, and V, as well as extended spectrum enzymes; it’s only restricted activity against class I beta-lactamases other than class Ic types.
- Allergic reactions like urticaria,joint pain, fever, angioedema, rashes, serum sikness like reaction,anaphylaxis.
- Nausea,vomiting, diarrhea.
- anaemia,Thrombocytopenia, and coagulation disorder.
- Rare Abdominal Pain,eosinophilia,hepatitis
- very rare hypoglycaemia,hypokalaemia,Toxic epidermal necrolysis, and steven jhonson syndrome.
- Rare CNS side effects like Convuslion,(with high doses)
- Interstitial nephritis.
- Adult and Child Age more than 12 years: Usual dose for Hospital Accquired pneumonia, complicated intra abdominal infection, and septicaemia is 4.5 g after every 8 hours or 3.75 g every 6 hours.
- Adult and Child Age 2-12 years: Usual Dose For Complicated infection involving urinary tract infections and skin and soft tissue infections is 112.5 mg/kg. after every 8 hours .Don’t Exceed from 4.5g.
- Adult and child over 12 years: The dose for infections in neutropenic patients by Intravenous infusion is 4.5g after every 6 hours.
Before using Tazocin , tell your doctor or health care provider if you’re allergic to it; or to any other antibiotics of this group (such as penicillins, cephalosporins); or if you have got any other allergies. This product could contain inactive ingredients, which might cause hypersensitive reactions or other issues. This combo contains sodium. Consult your doctor or health professional if you’re on a salt-restricted diet or if you have got a condition that would be worsened by an increase in salt intake (such as heart disease, high blood pressure).Before using this medication, tell your doctor or health professional your medical record, particularly of: cystic fibrosis, renal disorder.
Related Article: Important Information About Rifampicin