- Verapamil is in a group of Drugs called calcium-channel blocker. it’s prescribed to treat a variety of heart and blood vessel-related conditions. These are abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias), high pressure (hypertension), and angina chest pain.
- Verapamil inhibits voltage-dependent calcium channels. Specifically, its impact on L-type calcium channels within the heart causes a reduction in ionotropy and chronotropy, so reducing heart rate and blood pressure. Verapamil’s mechanism of effect during a cluster headache is believed to be coupled to its calcium-channel blocker effect, however that channel subtypes are involved is presently not best-known.
- Avoid verapamil if you’ve got a significant heart condition such as “sick sinus syndrome” or “AV block” (unless you’ve got a pacemaker), slow heartbeats that have caused you to faint, or certain cardiac rhythm disorders of the atrium (the higher chambers of the heart that enable blood to flow into the heart) And severe cardiopathy.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to verapamil hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients in calcium blocker. If you’re pregnant, making an attempt for a baby or breastfeeding or you’ve got low blood pressure (hypotension), And If you’ve got any issues with the way your liver works.
- The most common side effects that occur with verapamil include: nausea and vomiting, face flushing, weakness or fatigue, constipation, sexual issues, like male erecticle dysfunction, headache while Serious side effects include; dizziness or light headedness, quick heartbeat, palpitations, irregular heartbeat, or chest pain, swelling of your legs or ankles, slow heartbeat, problem breathing, fainting, skin rash.
- The dose for migraine is 160-320 mg three to four times daily.For Hypertension (immediate release): 80-320 mg twice daily.Hypertension (extended release): 120-480 mg once or twice daily depending on the brand.While For Angina (immediate release formulations): 80-160 mg 3 times daily. Angina (extended release formulations): 180-540 mg at bedtime. verapamil is taken with food.
Related Article : Abortion Pills Side Effects