Chlorthalidone is a Prescription diuretic drug And is employed to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention caused by numerous conditions, including a heart condition. It causes the kidneys to get rid of excess water and salt from the body into the urine.It may also be used to treat patients with certain electrolyte disturbances, diabetes insipidus, and to prevent kidney stones in patients with high levels of calcium in their blood.
- Chlorthalidone inhibits sodium ion transport across the renal tubular epithelial tissue within the cortical diluting section of the ascending limb of the loop of Henle. By increasing the delivery of Na to the distal renal tube-shaped structure, chlorthalidone indirectly will increase potassium excretion via the sodium-potassium exchange mechanism.
- The additional common side effects that may occur with chlorthalidone oral pill include stomach issues, like stomach cramping, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, exaggerated thirst, constipation, headache, dizziness.While Serious side effects and their symptoms will include the following: unusual bleeding or bruising, trouble breathing or swallowing, sore throat and fever, severe rash with peeling skin, reduced potassium levels.
- Do not take chlorthalidone if you are unable to produce pee, Are allergic to chlorthalidone, a sulfa medicine, thiazide medicine, or any of the ingredients of the medication, have a severe liver disorder.
- The optimum dose of chlorthalidone varies greatly from patient to patient. For high blood pressure, the suggested dose vary is 25 to 100 mg daily. Most patients receive 12.5 to 25 mg daily. Edema is treated with 50 to 100 mg daily or 100 mg each alternative day and also the maximum dose is 200 mg daily.Heart failure is treated with 12.5 to 100 mg daily.
- It is a pregnancy category “B” Drug. Animal studies have discovered no proof of damage to the fetus, however, there are no adequate studies in pregnant women OR animal studies have shown an adverse impact, however adequate studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the foetus. Therefore It should not be utilized in gestation unless completely necessary.