Amitriptyline is in a group of Drugs Called Tricyclic Antidepressant And is Used to help Relieve Symptoms Of Depression ,Nerve pain ( Neuralgia) Preventing migraine,Nocturnal enuresis) in children aged six years and over (Bedwetting)Lower doses are also widely used to block the long-term (chronic) pain of some rheumatic conditions.
- Amitriptyline affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with depression.
- The more common side effects of amitriptyline can include,blurred vision,confusion constipation or diarrhea,numbness and tingling in your arms and legs,skin rash,swelling of your face and tongue,nausea,headache,unexpected weight gain or loss
- Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:1)Heart attack. Symptoms can include,chest pain,shortness of breath,pain or pressure in your chest or upper body.2)Stroke.Symptoms can include:weakness in one part or side of your body,slurred speech.
- The recommended dose for Depression in Adults is 50-75mg Per day or as a single night time dose increasing to 150-200mg a day. A maintenance dose of 50-100mg at night should be given to lessen the chances of relapse.
- The recommended dose for Adolescents and elderly is 25-50mg per day in a divided doses or as a single night time dose. A maintenance dose of 25-50mg may be sufficient.
- For Children With Nocturnal aneurisis (Nightly bedwetting)the recommended dose for 11-16 years is 25-50mg at night. And for 6-10 years the dose is 10-20mg at night while Not recommended for age less than 6 years.
- Amitriptyline will not be prescribed;if you are recovering from a recent heart attack (myocardial infarction) or if you have a condition referred to as heart block,uncontrolled bipolar disorder (extreme mood swings),certain kinds of glaucoma (increased pressure within the eyeball),acute porphyria (an enzyme disorder inflicting severe nerve or skin symptoms).
- Take amitriptyline hydrochloride exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Don’t take this medication in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than suggested.