Crocin contain paracetamol as an active ingredient and belongs to a group of medicine known as analgesic (Pain killer). It is used to treat fever, Pain like headache, Toothache, Bodyache, Menstrual Pain,Joint pain, and Muscle pain. Crocin is also used after Surgery to reduce pain.
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals manufactures Crocin Tablet and other dosage forms.
It comes in various form and strengths like
- Crocin Suspension-A cold syrup for Children (Paracetamol 120MG)
- Crocin Tablets (Paracetamol 500MG)
- Crocin Tablets (Paracetamol 1000MG)
- Crocin Advance (Paracetamol 500MG)
- Crocin Drops (Paracetamol 240MG/5ML).
How it Works?
It contains paracetamol, which inhibits the effects of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. These enzymes (COX) are naturally present in our body and help produce certain chemicals (known as prostaglandins) that cause pain and swelling and redness at the site of the injury. Therefore, with the inhibition of the effects of COX enzymes; The production of prostaglandins is inhibited, which in turn relieves pain and increases blood flow through the skin, heat loss and sweating.
It is used in the treatment of the following medical conditions:
- Joint Pain
- Nick Pain
- Muscle Pain
- Menstrual Cramps
- Post Immunization Pyrexia
It is contraindicated in the following conditions
- If you have kidney disease
- If you are allergic to paracetamol or any other ingredients present in this formulations.
- If you have liver disease
- If you normally consume 3 or more alcohol beverage per day.
- Crocin Tablet is not safe for children.
- If you are already taking warfarin talk to your doctor as it may cause liver damage.
Crocin Side Effects
It is generally well tolerated but it can cause some side effects along with it’s beneficial effects. Following are some side effects associated with the use of this medication.
- Severe Liver damage on High doses
- Allergic reactions like swelling of your face, lips, throat, or tongue, hives, difficulty breathing or swallowing,severe itching, peeling or blistering skin.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Low blood pressure and Flushing.
- Thrombocytopenia (low number of platelet cells)
- Leukopenia (low number of white blood cells).
- Feeling sickness
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome.
Note: It may also cause other side effects not listed here.
Crocin (Paracetamol) may interact with other medicines.This might increase the risk of side effects.Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine with other drugs.
- Other products containing paracetamol.
- imatinib and busulfan
- phenobarbital, phenytoin and primidone
Crocin in Pregnancy
Yes, its active ingredient is paracetamol, which is the same as paracetamol. It can be taken during pregnancy. Paracetamol is safe to use during pregnancy. However, it is recommended that you always consult your doctor before using any medication during pregnancy.
For adults, 500 mg tablet is the general dose for fever and pain of 325-650 mg tablets once every 4 to 6 hours or 1000 mg tablets once every 6 to 8 hours.
The forgotten dose should be taken as soon as possible. You should not take the missed dose when the time comes for the next scheduled dose.
Contact your doctor if you suspect an overdose of this medication.