Doxazosin belongs to a group of medicines referred to as alpha-blockers. It works by blocking the action of certain nerve impulses. This obstruction action is beneficial in two different medical conditions. it is used to facilitate control the symptoms of prostate gland enlargement, and it additionally reduces blood pressure in individuals with high blood pressure.
- You are advised to not drink alcohol while you’re on doxazosin. Alcohol can increase the side-effects of doxazosin, like feeling faint and dizzy.
- if You forget a dose Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it’s almost time for the following dose, skip the lost dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Don’t take a double dose to make up for a lost one.
- Doxazosin oral pill is available as a generic and as the brand-name drug Cardura.
- Initial Adult Dose for Hypertension is 1 mg (Immediate release) orally in a single dose per day And Then Maintenance dose of 1 to 16 mg orally once a day
- Initial Adult Dose for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia is 1 mg (Immediate release)orally once a day in the morning or evening And 4 mg (Extended-release)orally once a day with breakfast And Then Maintenance dose Of 1 to 8 mg (Immediate release)orally once a day in the morning or evening.And Then 4 to 8 mg (Extended-release)orally once a day with breakfast.
Doxazosin Side Effects:
More common side effects
The more common side effects that occur with doxazosin when treating benign prostatic hyperplasia include:
- Low blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain
- Swelling of your hands, arms, feet, and legs
- Runny nose
Serious side effects
Serious side effects can include:
- Priapism (painful erection that lasts for hours)
- Heart problems such as chest pain or rapid, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Breathing problems or shortness of breath
- Severe allergic reaction.