Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It is one of the top selling drugs in United states.It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
- It is used in Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in patients with irritation and swelling of the esophagus when medicine cannot be taken orally.
- It is also used to reduce the risk of bleeding ulcers after a certain procedure (endoscopy).
- Also used in the treatment of Zolinger Elison syndrome
- It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Do not take Esomeprazole
- if you are allergic to other proton pump inhibitor medicines(e.g.omeprazole,pantoprazole,lanzoprazole, rabeprazole).
if you are allergic to esomeprazole or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- if you are taking a medicine containing nelfinavir (used to treat HIV infection).
Esomeprazole, like other PPIs, is well-tolerated. The most common side effects are
Abnormal heartbeat,Nervousness,leg cramps,muscle pain, weakness, and water retention occur infrequently.
Long-term use of PPIs has also been associated with low levels of magnesium (hypomagnesemia). Analysis of patients taking PPIs for long periods of time showed an increased risk of heart attacks.
Proton pump inhibitors may increase the risk of Clostridium difficile infection. High doses and long-term use (1 year or longer) may increase the risk of osteoporosis-related fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine. Prolonged use also reduces absorption of vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Healing of Erosive Esophagitis 20 mg or 40 mg Once Daily for 4 to 8 Weeks
Maintenance of Healing of Erosive Esophagitis 20 mg Once Daily
Symptomatic Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease 20 mg Once Daily for 4 Weeks
- Pediatric GERD 12 to 17 Year Olds
Healing of Erosive Esophagitis Symptomatic GERD 20 mg or 40 mg Once Daily for 4 to 8 Weeks
20 mg Once Daily for 4 Weeks
- 1 to 11 Year Olds
Short-term Treatment of Symptomatic GERD 10 mg Once Daily for up to 8 Weeks
Healing of Erosive Esophagitis
weight < 20 kg 10 mg Once Daily for 8 Weeks
weight ≥ 20 kg 10 mg o r 20 mg Once Daily for 8 Weeks
- 1 month to < 1 year old
Erosive esophagitis due to acid-mediated GERD
weight 3 kg to 5 kg 2.5 mg Once Daily for up to 6 Weeks
weight > 5 kg to 7.5 kg 5 mg Once Daily for up to 6 Weeks
weight > 7.5 kg to 12 kg 10 mg Once Daily for up to 6 Weeks
- Risk Reduction of NSAID-Associated Gastric Ulcer 20 mg or 40 mg Once Daily for up to 6 months
H. pylori Eradication to Reduce the Risk of Duodenal Ulcer Recurrence
- Triple Therapy:
NEXIUM 40 mg Once Daily for 10 Days
Amoxicillin 1000 mg Twice Daily for 10 Days
Clarithromycin 500 mg Twice Daily for 10 Days
- Pathological Hypersecretory Conditions Including Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 40 mg Twice Daily.