Dengue is a viral transmitted disease caused by any one of four closely related dengue viruses. This fever is transmitted by the bite of an Aedes mosquito infected with a dengue virus. The mosquito becomes infected when it bites a person with dengue virus in their blood. It can’t be spread directly from one person to another person.
- Unlike malaria mosquitoes, this mosquitos bite during the day with their activity peaking at dawn and dusk So It is preferable to have all day protection.
- Aedesaegypti lays eggs on the sides of containers and these remain stuck to the surface like glue. The eggs can survive without water for almost a year and hatch as soon as they are submerged in water.
- The female dengue mosquito can lay eggs in any container which can hold some water. It can also lay eggs in the toilet tanks.
- This mosquito prefers to rest indoors as this protects them from climatic changes thereby increasing their life span.
- Total number of Cases per Year is 390 million.
Symptoms of this fever usually develop suddenly 4 to 10 days after becoming infected. Symptoms can include:
- Severe headache
- High fever, Temperature can reach 40C (104F) or higher
- Severe Nausea ,Vomiting
- Pain behind the eyes
- Muscle and joint pain
- Red rashes
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling or being sick.
Treatment for dengue
There’s no specific treatment for this fever. Treatment involves relieving your symptoms while the infection runs its course.
- Take paracetamol to relieve pain and fever.
- Avoid aspirin or ibuprofen, as these can cause
bleeding problems in people with dengue
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
To protect yourself:
- When outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants tucked into socks.
- Use mosquito repellents, even indoors.
- When indoors, use air conditioning if available.
- Make sure window and door screens are secure and free of holes. If sleeping areas are not screened or air conditioned, use mosquito nets.
- Stay away from heavily populated residential areas, if possible.
- Get rid of things which are breedig ground for the mosquitos likes old tyres ,stagnant water,Properly cover Washroom containers .