Susten 200 is the same as the natural female sex hormone secreted by the human ovary. It is available with a concentration of 200 mg per capsule.
It is used in hormone replacement therapy. This means that it is administered orally in women’s bodies if they do not produce enough progesterone.
It is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Division of Spectra).
Susten 200 comes in three dosage forms
- Rectal form
Susten 200 Uses:
It is generally used to treat infertility in women, but there are several other uses where it can be taken:
- Abnormal Bleedings
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
- Hormonal replacement therapy
- Regulate Periods.
- Endometrial hyperplasia
- Progesterone deficiency during pregnancy
- Premenstrual syndrome
This is not a Complete list and there might be other uses & benefits of this drug as well.
Progesterone is a female hormone and if the woman is not producing enough, it can cause irregular menstrual cycles and have difficulty in maintaining a pregnancy. It binds to progesterone and estrogen receptors. The target cells include the female reproductive tract, the mammary gland, the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland.
Once it binds to the receptor, progesterone will reduce the frequency of release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) from the hypothalamus and reduce the preovulatory increase in LH (luteinizing hormone).
Stimulates changes in the vagina, uterus, and also luteal actions, as noted in early pregnancy. It also reduces the risk of developing uterine cancer.
Susten 200 Side Effects
Common Side Effects associated with the use of susten 200 include:
- Dizziness following intake of progesterone
- Excessive gas in stomach
- Weight gain
- Fluid retention leading to swelling
- Tenderness in breast
- Mood swings
- Ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome,
- Uterine spasm,
- Vaginal bleeding and
- Urinary tract infections.
While rare but severe side effects include
- Chest pain and discomfort
- Fever and chills
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Breast lumps
- Loss of vision or blurred vision
- Unexpected vaginal bleeding
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Swelling of face, lips, eyelids, tongue, hands and feet
Susten 200 Precautions
- Allergies to any of the ingredients present in Susten.
- Pre-existing diseases, and
- Current health conditions (e.g. pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.).
- Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug.
- Also tell your doctor as it Can cause dizziness and drowsiness
- Can cause fluid retention.
- Do not use if suffering from hyperplasia.
- Do not operate any heavy machinery or drive.
Susten 200 is contraindicated in the following conditions.
- History of breast cancer
- Abnormal genital bleeding
- Pulmonary embolism
- Liver dysfunction
- Suspected pregnancy
Susten 200 Drug interactions
Susten 200 could show drug interactions if used together with these medicines.Tell your doctor about all the medicines, herbal supplements, vitamins and you are using, so that you gynecologist can help you prevent or manage drug interactions.Following Drugs may interact with Susten 200: