Clarithromycin (Claritek) belongs to a group of drugs known as macrolide. it penetrates lung tissue and macrophages to a larger level than erythromycin; employed for respiratory tract infections, STDs, otitis media, and MAC in AIDS patients; utilized in combination regimens for H. pylori eradication.
Researchers from the Japanse drug firm Taisho Pharmaceutical developed clarithromycin from the 1970s. Back in 1985, Taisho partnered with the American firm Abbott Laboratories for its global rights, and Abbott gained FDA approval for Biaxin in October, 1991. The medication went generic in the USA in 2005.
Clarithromycin (Claritek) Uses
Clarithromycin is often used for
- Bronchitis, and
- Infections of the ears, sinuses, skin and throat.
- Also used in combination with other medicines to eliminate H. pylori .
- It is also used to treat and prevent disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) infection, which is a type of lung infection that often occurs in patients with HIV.
- It is occasionally used to prevent heart infections in people having dental or other procedure.
- It is sometimes used to treat other types of infections including Lyme disease, cryptosporidiosis, cat scratch disease, Legionnaires’ disease, and pertussis (whooping cough).
- Skin infections
It works by preventing the growth of bacteria. Clarithromycin prevents bacteria by acting as a protein synthesis inhibitor. It binds to 23S rRNA, a Part of the 50S subunit of the bacterial ribosome, thus inhibiting the translation of peptides
Like most antibiotics, it can’t kill viruses which cause, influenza or other viral diseases.
Clarithromycin oral pill does not cause drowsiness. But, it may cause other unwanted effects.
Common side effects
The common side effects of clarithromycin oral pill can comprise:
- Stomach pain
- Unnatural taste in your mouth
If these impacts are moderate, they might go away in a couple of days or even a few weeks. If they are more severe or do not go away, Speak with your Physician or pharmacist
Serious unwanted effects
Serious side effects and their symptoms may contain the following:
- Hypersensitivity reaction or allergic reactions
- Liver Issues. Symptoms may include: Fatigue, Reduction of desire, upper gut pain, Dark-colored urine, Yellowing of skin or the whites of your eyes
- Heart rate issues.
Call your health care provider straight away in the event that you’ve got serious unwanted effects. Call 911 if your symptoms are feeling harmless or when you feel you are having a health emergency.
Clarithromycin (Claritek) in Pregnancy & Breast feeding
Safe use of clarithromycin in pregnancy hasn’t yet been established. There are no adequate studies in pregnant women.
Clarithromycin is excreted in breast milk.
Dose for clarithromycin
Clarithromycin can be taken with or without meals. For many infections the recommended adult dose is 250-500 mg of immediate release tablets twice per day or 1000 milligrams of extended release tablets once daily for 7-14 days.