Meftal Spas is the combination of two active ingredients such as dicyclomine and mefenamic acid.
Meftal Spas Tablet is manufactured by Blue Cross Labs.
Dicycloverin, also known as Dicyclomin, is a muscarinic antagonist and is a prescription medication that relieves muscle cramps in gastrointestinal and urinary incontinence by an obvious mechanism of non-selective smooth muscle relaxation.
Mefenamic acid belongs to the class of anthranilic acid derivatives of NSAIDs and is used to treat mild to moderate pain, including menstrual pain, and is sometimes used to prevent migraine related to menstruation.
- Dicycloverin or dicyclomine 10 mg
- Mefenamic acid 250 mg.
Mechanism of action
Meftal spas works by blocking the action of natural substances called cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. These enzymes help in the production of other chemicals in the body called prostaglandins. It blocks the release of certain chemical messengers that cause fever, pain and inflammation.
Meftal Spas tablet Uses
It is used to treat mild to moderate pain and menstrual cramps. It is approved for the treatment of pain in persons who are at least 14 years old and no more than 7 days old. It is permissible to treat menstrual cramps for no more than 2-3 days. Meftal Spas is used to treat the following symptoms and conditions:
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Pain during periods
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Pain in stomach
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Migraine headache
- Pain after surgery
- Tooth pain
This drug may also be used for the purpose not listed above.
Meftal spas can cause a range of side effects. some of the common and less serious side effects include
- Dry eyes,
- Blurred vision,
- Dry mouth and
- Abdominal bloating
While serious effects on high doses include
- Slurred speech,
- Decreased sweating,
- Flushed skin,
- Irregular heartbeat,
- Loss of coordination,
- Mood changes,
- Decreased sexual ability and
- Difficulty urinating.
Meftal Spas in Pregnancy
Meftal-Spas Tablet is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggest that the medication could pose a significant risk to the baby. Consult your doctor.
Meftal spas tablet is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- Hepatic or renal disease/impairment
- Urinary retention,
- Paralytic ileus
- Cardiac arrhythmias,
- Coronary bypass graft surgery.
- Congestive heart failure.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Avoid use Neonates and children due to risks of respiratory depression and/or failure.
- Avoid use in Elderly
- Congenital heart defects.
Certain Drugs causing side effects when use with other drug. Always ask your doctor when you use other medications with meftal spas tablet. Following are some drugs which should be avoided with this medicine.
- Mefenamic acid increases levels of lithium in the blood and increases the toxicity of methotrexate.
- Aspirin has synergistic effects when used together with Meftal spas and may worsen the adverse event profile of any of the medications.
- It may antagonize the effects of gut motility agents such as metoclopramide and anti-glaucoma drugs.
- Mefenamic acid reduces the hypotensive effect of ACE inhibitors.
- Dicyclomine absorption in the presence of antacids reduced, while I dissolve with the absorption of drug forms, which can slowly disturb how digoxin dissolve, in which abnormally high concentrations of the drug occur.
- The risk of intestinal bleeding is greater when mefenamic acid is combined with warfarin than when used alone or separately.
- Meftal SPAS Tablet can interact with other drugs like amantadine, antidiabetics, antihistamines, benzodiazepines, corticosteroids.
The dose is based on your state of health and the response to the therapy. To reduce the risk of stomach bleeding and other side effects, take this medicine at the lowest effective dose as soon as possible.
Take only 3 Meftal Spa Tablets in a day. Meftal spas are relatively safe for 1-3 days in a cycle. If you have regular periods, take the first dose before the period / pain starts. It may only require 3-4 doses. The shaking up of ice also helps.
Do not increase your dose, take it more often or take it longer than prescribed. In general, this medicine should not be taken for more than 7 days at a time.