Espumisan is the brand name of simethicone and belongs to a class of medications known as antiflatulence. It is used to relieve the painful symptoms of excess gas in the stomach and intestines.
Simethicone was approved for the first time in 1952 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Espumisan is available in the form of capsules and drops.
- Espumisan capsule 40 mg.
- Espumisan capsule 80 mg.
- Espumisan drops 100 mg / 1 ml.
Other brands include lefax and koolox.
It is used to treat pain and discomfort caused by excessive gas in the intestine and stomach in cases such as the following:
- Flatulence and
- Postoperative gas expansion.
- Used before endoscopy to remove foam, gas and air from the gastrointestinal tract to reduce gas shading and obtain better visualization.
It works in the stomach and intestine to alter the surface tension of gas bubbles, which causes them to collapse and form larger bubbles. This allows the gas bubbles in the stomach and intestine to attach more easily, which facilitates the passage of gas.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist before taking Simethicone
- If you are allergic to it or to any other ingredient in this product; or if you have any other allergies
- If you are pregnant before taking this medicine.
Simethicone generally does not cause side effects when taken as directed. However, you should inform your doctor if you notice any unusual symptoms.
The common side effects can be:
- Loose stool
- Vomiting and
Espumisan in Pregnancy
Simethicone is generally considered safe during pregnancy because the placenta does not pass. The medication is also considered safe for nursing babies.
There is no evidence that simethicone passes into breast milk or not; Consult your doctor first if you are breast-feeding.
The medication can be used in adults, children and infants, and is generally considered safe for newborns.
The recommended dose for gas relaxation is 40-125 mg 4 times a day after meals and before bedtime. The drops can be mixed with water, baby food or other liquids for use in young children.
- Espumisan dose For babies (0-12 months) 25 drops per day. It is recommended to use 8 drops three times a day (every 8 hours). Add drops to the bottle and give them to your baby before breastfeeding.
- Espumisan dose for children between 1-6 years 25 drops, 3 to 5 times a day.
- Espumisan dose for Children 6-14 years 25-50 drops, 3 to 5 times per day.
- The capsules of Espumisan can be used in patients older than 6 years (two capsules, 3-4 times per day).
Never use more than the recommended dose of simethicone.