Gaviscon is the combination of three active ingredients like Sodium alginate, sodium bicarbonate, and calcium carbonate in a suitable flavored vehicle like peppermint or aniseed flavor.Gavison is a sugar-free suspension manufactured by Reckitt Benckiser.
- Relieving the symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux,
- Heartburn including heartburn in pregnancy or following meals.
- Acid regurgitation.
- Too much Stomach Acid or Stomach Upset.
- Sodium Alginate 250 mg
- Sodium Bicarbonate 133.5 mg
- Calcium carbonate 80 mg/5ml
- Sodium (Na+)/5ml=3.1 mmol.
Mechanism of Action of Gavison
Preparations containing Alginate Like Gavison. Alginate In the presence of the calcium carbonate it reacts with the acid in the stomach to form a viscous gel (Raft or a protective barrier) on the surface of stomach contents, thereby reducing symptoms of reflux.That viscous layer acts as a strong physical barrier and helps to keep stomach contents in the stomach as it floats on the surface of the stomach contents.This increase in viscosity of stomach contents and can protect the oesophageal mucosa from acid reflux.This raft stops stomach acid escaping up into your food pipe.Apart From ALginate Gaviscon also contains an antacid that neutralizes excess stomach acid and reduces pain and discomfort.
Avoid Gaviscon if
- You are allergic or intolerant to any ingredient of the medicine.
- You are on a strict salt or sodium-restricted diet, for example, those with heart or kidney disease.As Gaviscon contains sodium and may not be suitable for Such Conditions.
- You have high levels of calcium in your blood, or with a history of kidney stones that contain calcium. As it contains calcium so may not be suitable for such people.
Gaviscon Side Effects
Generally, It is well tolerated and there are very less and rare side effects related to the use of Gaviscon.some people have experienced;
- Allergic reaction, such as an itchy rash (urticaria), breathing difficulties due to a narrowing of the airways (bronchospasm) or anaphylaxis.
- Gaviscon can cause nausea, constipation, diarrhea, or a headache.
- Diarrhea because of Magnesium
- Dizziness and Fainting
Rare but very serious side effects like;
- Black/tarry stools,
- Irregular heartbeat, mental/mood changes (e.g., confusion),
- Deep sleep,
- Pain with urination,
- Stomach/abdominal pain,
- Vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Gaviscon In Pregnancy
It can be used to relieve indigestion and heartburn associated with pregnancy or when breastfeeding. However, be sure not to take more than the recommended dose.
- The usual adult dose is 10-20 ml after meals and at bedtime. (2-4 Teaspoon)
- The usual dose for children age 6-12 years is 5-10 ml after meals or at bedtime.
- Do not take Gaviscon for longer than 7 days without checking with a doctor.
- Take Gaviscon up to 4 times a day.
Related Article: Important Information About Esomeprazole